Hollywood Park Neighborhood Association Bylaws
Name of Organization: The name of the organization shall be Hollywood Park Neighborhood Association, Inc and/or HPNA (Referred to as “HPNA” in these Bylaws).
Purpose: The purposes for which HPNA is organized are:
- To enhance the livability of the HPNA neighborhoods by establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with various government agencies, businesses, and other organizations.
- To act as liaison for the HPNA neighborhoods with various government agencies, businesses and other organizations.
- To provide an open process by which all residents of the HPNA neighborhoods may involve themselves in the affairs of the neighborhoods.
- To promote greater cooperation, communication, understanding, and mutual support among residents of the HPNA neighborhoods.
Membership: Membership in the HPNA shall be open to all residents, property owners, and business licensee’s located within the boundaries of HPNA as defined in Article VIII of these Bylaws. To become a member, a membership application must be received by HPNA and annual dues must be paid in full.
- Resident/Property Owner membership is by address with each individual in a member household, age 18 or older, having one vote.
- Business membership (businesses and other eligible entities) shall entitle each member organization to one vote.
- Associate members are non-voting members who pay the membership dues and support the purposes of HPNA but do not meet the residency requirements for membership.
Voting: All members except Associates, 18 years of age or older, shall have one vote each, to be cast during attendance at any general or special meeting.
Dues: All dues shall be annually established by the Board.
Contributions: Voluntary contributions may be accepted.
Fundraising: Activities to raise funds for HPNA may be held subject to prior Board approval.
Fund expenditures: All expenditures shall be approved by the Board, and shall support the purposes of this organization.
Community Meetings: There shall be at least four quarterly membership meetings a year. The HPNA membership shall be notified of the time, location, and subjects of the meeting.
Annual Meeting: One membership meeting shall be designated as the annual meeting. At this meeting:
- The President shall provide a written and oral annual report on the state of the HPNA for the previous 12 months.
- The Treasurer shall provide a written and oral financial report.
- Elections for Members of the Board shall be held.
Special Meeting: A special meeting of the membership may be called by the Board President or by a majority of the Board as deemed necessary. The HPNA membership shall be notified of the time, place, and subjects of the meeting.
Agenda: Subject to the approval of the Board of Directors, the President shall prepare the agenda for general and special meetings of the membership. Any person may add an item to the agenda by submitting the item in writing to the Board of Directors at least two days in advance of the membership meeting. Any member of the HPNA may make a motion to add an item to the Board, general or special agenda at those respective meetings. Adoption of that motion requires a second and majority vote.
Quorum: A quorum for any general or special meeting of the HPNA shall be the number of members in attendance. Unless otherwise specified in these Bylaws, decisions of the HPNA shall be made by a majority vote of those members present at any meeting.
Procedures: The HPNA shall rely on Robert’s Rules of Order (Revised), to resolve parliamentary issues.
Board of Directors (Hereinafter referred to as the “Board”)
Composition of the Board: The Board shall be composed of 9 members.
Duties of the Board:
- Management: The Board shall manage the affairs of the HPNA. The Board shall be accountable to the membership; shall seek the views of those affected in developing HPNA policy or procedures; and shall strictly comply with these bylaws.
- Regulations: The board may, in accordance with these Bylaws, create and implement the rules, policies, and procedures necessary to realize the purposes of HPNA.
- Vacancies: The Board may fill any vacancy on the Board or a committee by majority vote of the Board. A member appointed to fill a vacancy shall serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Board Meetings:
- The Board shall meet at least once a month or at any other time the Board President may designate. These meetings shall be open to the HPNA members; however, only Board members may vote.
- A quorum for Board meetings shall be five members if there are eight or nine Board members and four if there are less than eight Board members. Board decisions shall be made by a majority vote of the members present.
- The Board members shall be notified of Board meetings at least 24 hours in advance of any Board meeting. A majority of Board members, by signed petition, may call a Board, community, or special meeting.
- Removal: The Board may remove any director with cause by a majority vote of the Board.
- Emergency Powers: If the number of Board members is less than four, the Board may call for new elections at the next membership meeting. If, despite their best efforts, the Board cannot perform its duties or elect a new Board, the fate of the HPNA will be determined, in accordance with the HPNA Articles of Incorporation by a vote of the membership present at a membership meeting.
Officers: The Board shall elect from among its members a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer at the first Board meeting following the annual election.
Duties of the Officers:
- President: The President shall be responsible for the preparation of the agenda and for chairing all meetings of the Board and membership; and shall appoint and/or approve chairs of committees with majority approval of the Board. The President shall, at least once every 12 months, ensure a review of the HPNA’s financial status and processes.
- Vice-President: The Vice-President shall assist the President and assume all duties of the President in the absence of the President.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the preparation and retention of the all the HPNA minutes and shall be responsible for the organization and retention of all HPNA records; shall be responsible for all correspondence for the HPNA; and shall make records of the HPNA available for inspection for any proper purpose at a reasonable time and place.
- Treasurer: the Treasurer shall be held accountable for all funds and shall give an accounting at each general meeting; shall receive, keep safe, and disburse the HPNA funds, and shall present an annual budget to the Board for approval. Such disbursement shall require the signature of at least one other officer decided by majority vote of the Board.
Committees: The Board shall establish and/or dissolve committees as needed. Committees shall submit to the Board regular written reports of their activities including minutes. No committee shall make any obligation for the HPNA without prior written approval of the Board.
Election of Board Members
Eligibility: Only Resident/Property Owner members shall be qualified to hold an elected position.
Term of the Board: Members of the Board shall be elected to serve for two years.
Numbering of Seats: The Board seats shall be numbered from one through nine, and these number designations shall remain and determine the year of election. Even numbered seats will be elected in even numbered years, and odd numbered seats will be elected in odd numbered years.
Special Circumstance: The first election of the Board, if in an even numbered year, will elect odd numbered seats for one year; or, if in an odd numbered year, will elect even numbered seats for one year. Subsequent to this election, all seats will be elected to two-year terms.
Method of Election: Elections shall be conducted by an Elections Committee composed of an odd number of members who have no marriage, blood or residential (do not reside at same address) relationship to the candidates for election. The Elections Committee shall submit an election plan to the Board for approval, modification or denial at least 60 days prior to the date of the election.
Adoption and Amendment of Bylaws
Adoption of the Bylaws: Adoption of these Bylaws shall require a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the voting members present at a membership meeting.
Amendment of the Bylaws: Amendment to the Bylaws shall be made at any community or special meeting after the members have been notified of all proposed amendments to the Bylaws. Adoption of amendments shall require a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the voting membership present at a membership meeting.
The boundaries of HPNA shall be defined as follows:
- Fruitridge Road to the north
- Sutterville Road to the south
- Freeport Blvd. to the east
- Twenty-fourth Street to the west
- Business/commercial areas near these boundaries
Adapted July 2001
Amended January 2002
Amended February 2005
Amended December 2011
Amended November 2020